Monday 8 August 2011

Josh Reviews: Frozen Synapse


I'm back! Sorry for the days I missed, I had a bit of a writers block problem. Clearly I'm not cut out to blog every day for a week! There go my hopes of doing one of those 'blog every day in X month' type things

Anyway, review for today is Frozen Synapse. Frozen Synapse is a turn based, top down, tactical strategy game where you control a squad of men in an attempt to vanquish the other guy's squad of men. All of the maps are randomly generated too, so its always a shiny new map to work out the best way to play on.

You can issue incredibly detailed to commands to your men so that they do exactly what you want, from movement to aiming to ignoring the bad guys on sight so you can move faster! Your men come in a various styles too, from machine gun guy to shotgun guy to rocket guy, and many others too! Your teams are randomly selected on the generation of the map (identical to the other team though!) so each match is quite individual. Just hope you don't get a team full of grenade guys! Explosions everywhere....

The style of the game is great too, as you can see from the screenshots. Nice clean lines with a cyber-punky style that carries over to the really nice soundtrack as well. Yet another very well produced indie game! What is the world coming to....

This game is definitely multiplayer focused, I mean they only sell it in packs of two copies! That way you always have someone to play with! The turn based nature of a game means that you can start a game, make your first moves then close the game and wait until the other player has completed their first turn too and await the outcome! You even get emails when a turn is ready, its rather marvellous really.

If you're the type that agonises over tactical decisions then Frozen Synapse really is the game for you! You can buy it from Steam or from the developers website here for about 20 pounds currently, its probably better to wait for it to go on sale. I still have my second copy though, so comment your Steam username (if you have one!) if you want me to gift you my spare!




Day 4 done! I'll be sticking to a regular review tomorrow rather than what I had planned, but I could still twist it into something good later! And apologies to those of you who are reading this before I put the screenshots up, I haven't got time to play through a full game now to get the pictures before Thursday, I'm going to work with my dad over the next couple of days. They'll be up eventually :).

For the last time, 'til tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment